Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Time To Be Thankful ... Again ...

Last year, in the lead-up to Thanksgiving, I wrote a blog about what I was thankful for. I'm not going to  do that this year. Been there, done that. It's not that I'm not grateful; it's that I'm grateful for the same things. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here but, in the lead-up, I see many of my American family members and friends posting about their gratitude on Facebook. They have every reason to be grateful; they're middle-class Americans. That, in and of itself, is something to be thankful for. The same goes for being a middle-class Australian.

Yesterday I heard an inspirational 50 minute interview with James R Doty. Here is the link. I'd never heard of him and never would have had I not chanced upon this interview. I'm grateful that I did. One of the things he said that resonated with me is that in America - and thus by extrapolation in Australia - people rarely look at those lower than themselves on the socio-economic scale and think how fortunate they are. Instead, they look at those higher and wish they had what they had and believe that would make them happy. Since beginning Footprints I've rarely thought about those higher on the socio-economic scale. I'm thankful every day to be exactly where I am, both socio-economically and geographically. Okay, I admit I'd LOVE to live in North Adelaide and be able to attend more theatre and travel more. But if that's all I want that I don't have I'd say that's a pretty good position to be in.

What are YOU thankful for?

Cheers.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment